Click on the name to visit these Fort Family Affiliated Sites

Gary's Garden — AC's Corner Café — Annex: Down Under — Bent and Twisted — Castle Roland — Jeff's Fort — Pyro's Place
The Story Lover's Home — Storymaker's Digital Home — Comicality's Shack Out Back — Ted Louis — Julian Gregg
Forums:  Timmy's Treehouse — GFD Blood Bank

Outstanding artwork from DocRat

17 replies to this topic

#1 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Too many to list, but some good authors / Series include: Dan Kirk, Grasshoper, the CSU, Mercedes Lackey, David Weber, John Ringo, Elizabeth Moon. And while I hate to be self-serving, I'm told my work is pretty good.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I read a lot of webcomics -- I love the long, drawn out storylines they often give compared to regular comics (most of which have to focus on the daily punchline).

Today, I ran across something unusual: not just a storyline that was outstanding, but artwork that was in it's own right deeply powerful.  The final panel of today's comic was... incredible.

Most of you probably don't read DocRat.  If you want to understand today's strip, you can start with yesterday's, or go further back to the start of this story arc if you want more detail.  Or you could go back to the very beggining, and enjoy this webcomic's incredible, deep, far-reaching storylines.

Or if you're lazy, you can look at today's strip and I can summarize what has come before for you:

The boyfriend, Bayden, is a no-good, waste-of-space ass, who the mother, Shirl, puts up with -- and believes she loves -- because numbats are an endangered species, and her children need a father.  Thanks to him, she automatically equates homosexuality with pedophillia, which means that she doesn't want Julian Sands -- who is in fact a wonderful father figure -- anywhere near her children.  Recently, her child was the target of an attack by a snake.  Julian Sands, realizing what was about to happen, rescued Jarrad -- taking the bite (and venom) intended for the boy, and carrying him at a dead run to the nearest available refuge.  Additional help arrives and helps deal with the snake, and some of the injuries done.  The snake now dealt with, and Julian on the road to the hospital, Shirl shows up (I think it's with her boyfriend, but some people think that may be her eldest son instead) and is quickly briefed on the situation.

And with that, we have today's strip, in which a boy takes the first steps towards becoming a man.  The final two panels touch on his long-established habit of pretending to be a superhero, and drawing comics about superheroes, and turns those into something incredibly deep and emotional.  He may still be a child, but today this boy becomes a man.

And I simply can not wait to see what happens tomorrow, because one way or another a stupid, idiotic....  individual... is going to recieve another in a line of much-needed talking-tos.

#2 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

Species: Ifigurit Outus

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    All CSU; All Havendale (Haven, Fire, Phoenix, Shorty, Fred, Snow, etc); Substitute Dad; Castaway Hotel; When He Was Five; Christmas short stories on Codey's, Ted's and Jeff's sites; ... (More to come)

Also (in "dead-tree" format) All Alex Sanchez; Most Mercedes Lackey;

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've only read the pages starting with the Doctor examining Shirl, and telling her she lost one of the babies (your "beginning of the current arc" link), but it seems like "a place of safety" or "a safe place" has a specific meaning in that universe ( a place where a prey species cannot legally be attacked -- like a hospital). The place where Julian flees with Jarrad is not that. It did not even keep the snake out very long. Long enough for help to arrive, fortunately, but not very long at all.

Having said that however, I agree both Julian and Jarrad have taken a class in awsome.

I'm adding this to my regular webcomics list.

#3 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Too many to list, but some good authors / Series include: Dan Kirk, Grasshoper, the CSU, Mercedes Lackey, David Weber, John Ringo, Elizabeth Moon. And while I hate to be self-serving, I'm told my work is pretty good.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Ooops.  I worded myself badly there.  I'm not entirely sure how to rephase myself, but all I meant was that Julian tried to protect Jarrod by taking him to a (relatively) protected place.  Not a place where predation wasn't allowed, but where Jarrod would be (again, relatively) safe from the immediate threat.  (Edit:  Let me know if the edited post is clearer)

If you haven't read the strip from the beginning, I highly recommend that you do so at some point.  While this is the first time I've been struck by the power and beauty of a single, specific panel, (Oh, I want a hi-def print of that to put on my wall!), some of the story arcs have been incredible!

But... question time... is that panel I'm discussing as good as I think it is?  Or am I just overly taken in by it?

#4 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    All CSU; All Havendale (Haven, Fire, Phoenix, Shorty, Fred, Snow, etc); Substitute Dad; Castaway Hotel; When He Was Five; Christmas short stories on Codey's, Ted's and Jeff's sites; ... (More to come)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm not the best judge of art, and it is just a comics panel -- a light pencil scetch inked in.

But it seems well composed. It conveys the point clearly, and adds to the emotional impact of the scene. I'd give it high marks.

#5 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

The early work was more primitive, and went for the daily "gag" with story arcs rarely going more than two or three days. I've gotten past Julians intro. It would seem he was a world traveller and did not let people forget it. And Jarrad and Shirl did have an arc with Jarrad's required shots for enrolling in school. I just finished the longest arc so far, the 12 days of Christmas. Of course, I still have just over 6 more years of strips before I've caught up. I can't do it in one night.

#6 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I just got to Jarrad's first suerhero strip. It is also the first strip in which both Julian and Jarrad are featured. In fact they are the only two in this strip.

Spoiler

#7 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

The next strip came out today...

And it's actually not as epic as the build up.  I mean, it's good, but...  The power of yesterday's panel was just to high to sustain.

#8 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Tomorrow's strip (apparently its already Monday in Oz) may be a little closer to what you were expecting.  Another thing to consider, however, is that although Jarrad has certain expectations of Captain Kerpow, when the "real" Captain Kerpow chooses to work through Jarrad, he is a lot more subtle than Jarrad is. Remember the little border collie girl who lost her whole family to a brushfire?

#9 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

What I find especially ironic is that before he accidently outed himself, Shirl was not only encouraging Julian's relationship with Jarrad, she pushed Jarrad into it. Of course that was only because Julian could always be counted on to pay top dollar for Jarrad's comic books, giving her more money to spend on smokes.

#10 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostRilbur, on 27 February 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Ooops.  I worded myself badly there.  I'm not entirely sure how to rephase myself, but all I meant was that Julian tried to protect Jarrod by taking him to a (relatively) protected place.  Not a place where predation wasn't allowed, but where Jarrod would be (again, relatively) safe from the immediate threat.  (Edit:  Let me know if the edited post is clearer)

BTW, I just noticed I never answered your question. The original phrasing was fine, I was just being a pedant, one of the hazards of being slightly autistic (I have Asperger's) is being too literal-minded. But I really like the new phrasing. It allows me to note that the location of that nearest available refuge is exactly the wrong place if Julian were trying to disprove Shirls accusations. A place like that is exactly the kind of place where Sshirl would expect someone like what she imagines Julian to be to lure a trusting young victim.

#11 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostOllieFranz, on 03 March 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

BTW, I just noticed I never answered your question. The original phrasing was fine, I was just being a pedant, one of the hazards of being slightly autistic (I have Asperger's) is being too literal-minded. But I really like the new phrasing. It allows me to note that the location of that nearest available refuge is exactly the wrong place if Julian were trying to disprove Shirls accusations. A place like that is exactly the kind of place where Sshirl would expect someone like what she imagines Julian to be to lure a trusting young victim.
A point that was lampshaded in strip # 1718, just before we learned that Julian had been bitten.

#12 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

LOL, slow down, let me catch up!

Your'e right, today's (or is that tomorrow's? :D ) strip is a lot better than the last one.

And I definitely caught -- and was amused by -- the scene where Julian needs to take off his pants.  Though I actually thought 1716 did it better.

#13 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Especially if you just take panel 2 but substitute the words from panel 1.

#14 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I've learned a lesson. It's called Justice.

Awesome!

Go Jarrad.

---------

In the first post you mentioned other people who read Doc Rat. Is there a forum that you go to? Maybe we should go there after this.

#15 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Oh, today's is another good one.  That line is awesome, but what's really awesome is the sudden realization on Bayden's part.  If Ma Shirl wants her boy taught a lesson, she done gonna have to go do it herself.

What I'm halfway looking forward to is Granny's reaction to all this when she finds out.

View PostOllieFranz, on 04 March 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

In the first post you mentioned other people who read Doc Rat. Is there a forum that you go to? Maybe we should go there after this.

Actually, that's a good idea.  I was just curious about other's reactions, I should have started with a forum dedicated to the strip...

#16 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I found the forum. It's hosted by the Cross-Time Cafe

See you there.

#17 Rilbur

Rilbur

The Bad Humor Police

• Family
  • 3,572 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

I almost couldnt' register, thanks to it wanting me to confirm my humanness by knowing something about a web comic I almost couldn't read (hand drawn, the font wasn't very clear).  (The key was to look at the cast page, which spelled it out without me needing to  read the comic itself)

#18 OllieFranz

OllieFranz

• Family
  • 1,288 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostRilbur, on 04 March 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

I almost couldnt' register, thanks to it wanting me to confirm my humanness by knowing something about a web comic I almost couldn't read (hand drawn, the font wasn't very clear).  (The key was to look at the cast page, which spelled it out without me needing to  read the comic itself)
Yeah. I tried paging through a couple of strips, but I wasn't even sure I'd know it when I found it, so I wound up on the cast list, too.
Better than some of Captcha's puzzles, though.

Reply to this topic

Help support the Fort Family Forums and Sites: