Click on the name to visit these Fort Family Affiliated Sites

Gary's Garden — AC's Corner Café — Annex: Down Under — Bent and Twisted — Castle Roland — Jeff's Fort — Pyro's Place
Poetry Hut — Storymaker's Digital Home — Comicality's Shack Out Back — Ted Louis — Julian Gregg — Saber Peak
Forums:  Timmy's Treehouse — Penguin Huggle

Stories I liked

34 replies to this topic

#1 Chain Reader

Chain Reader

New in Town

• Family
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Do Over Saga
    Kandric Saga

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'm a scifi and fantasy nut, so those are the genres I usually aim at reading, but not all sites have genres listed unfortunately :(

Some of the stories I've enjoyed reading so far.

The 'Do Over Saga' series (completed), all of it, is my current favorite ;)
With 'The Kandric Saga' (In Progress) as second favorite, but that may change when(!?/if?) it's finished.
...and I can't wait for the 3rd book of Dreams of Humanity !!

I've enjoyed both those writers' stories, ie Brile (In Progress) and O'Connel's Grenadiers (In Progress) by Kyle; and Mists Of Fate (completed) and Goon (completed) from D.K.

So here's my list of what I've particularly liked so far.
Do Over Saga............. dkstories ............. Thriller/SciFi | Alternate timelines/War/Politics (4 books completed)
The Kandric Saga ............. Kyle Aarons ............. Thriller/Fantasy | Magic, Dragons, Deities and then more magic!(In Progress)
The Nexus series ............. David Clarke ............. SciFi/Adventure | Parallel Universes/Aliens (In Progress)
Brile and O'Connel's Grenadiers (stories are related)............. Kyle Aarons ............. SciFi/Adventure | Space/War/Future (In Progress)
Mists Of Fate............. Dan Kirk ............. Fantasy(?)/SciFi/Thriller | Superhumans/end of the world (completed)
Goon............. dkstories ............. SciFi/Adventure | Time travel (I could be wrong but I think this started the Do Over Saga idea!) (completed)
Rich Boy series............. dkstories ............. Fantasy | Magic, Good v Evil (Book 1 and 2 complete)
Defenders ............. Kyle Aarons ............. Fantasy | Superhumans (In Progress)
Quest ............. str8mayb ............. SciFi | Space/Aliens/Time Travel (In Progress)
Trillion Dollar Family ............. Ribur ............. SciFi/Thriller | SuperHumans(Technology)/Space (In Progress)
The Chosen series ............. Silvenfox ............. Fantasy/Thriller | Magic/Good v Evil (In Progress)
The Wish ............. Gee Whillickers ............. Scifi/Adventure/Thriller | parallel Universes (completed)
Elios ............. Arthur ............. Adventure | End of the world/war (In Progress) ... a.t.m the first 8 chapters of it are on nifty, 3 are on wolfsnest
Things that Go Bump/A Light in the Darkness series ............. Jason Gordon ............. Fantasy/Thriller | Magic/Angels/Good v Evil (In Progress)

Of course there's many many more, especially short one-off stories I'm not gonna list all of them!

I'm kinda dried up and looking for more stories to read, like my nickname suggests I'm a chain-reader! :D

As you can I usually like scifi/fantasy related storylines and kinda avoid anything that does not have a touch of either... AND I am not afraid or really LONG series, a'la Do Over or big stories like The Kandric Saga.

Any recommendations for stories I might like would be appreciated.

P.S. yay! I finally signed up on this forum after lurking for a few months!! I gotta thank you all for the many story suggestions I've already picked on on this forum :)

#2 Visitor_David1064_*

Visitor_David1064_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Wow.  You are a reader!  Do you read anything in Fanfiction.net?  I follow the Harry Potter pages there.

#3 str8mayb

str8mayb

Wickedly Twisted

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

The CSU stories sound as if they would fit in what you like to read.

There is a LOT there to read.  If you haven't read any of the stories then you might want to try Memories (Book 1), by ACFan on cornercafe.us as this is the story that started it all, or if you want to find out what the CSU is all about, ARK by Akeentia on paddedroom.us will fill you in on that pretty well.

There are also some great fiction stories (and CSU stories) on bentandtwisted.us by Multimapper.  So far I have liked everything of his I have read.

I'm honored that I made your list, too.

Jeez©me, now his head will be all swelled up and he won't be able to wear a hat.  Jeez©me!

#4 Your Friend Darryl

Your Friend Darryl

Community Director

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:music of all kinds lots of variety
    radio and tv movies especially comedy and science fiction.
  • Favorite Stories:
    I tend to like science fiction, and time travel stories and fan fic
    Asimov stories Heinlien etc and of course a lot of people on the net.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to the forum, and by all means take a good look at the stories that are hosted on the various fort related sites.  

I agree with you on many of the stories that you mentioned, but, sadly, there are a few of the stories with which I am not familiar.  The Wish, for example, is one that I can't remember seeing.  I don't know where it is located.

You might like Hearts Across Space, in progress, by The Story Lover, on storylover.us.  Sam Lakes has some really good stories, On Crackerwriter.us

There is a yahoo group for a guy named Dream_Janus_Stories. There are quite a few stories represented there, NGR being my favourite. I am very happy with them.  

I whole heatedly agree with what Str8mayb said.  Anything by Multimapper is a real treat.  Julien Gregg's stories are also top notch. How about The Falcon Banner series which is by Christopher Lydon, on CRVBoy.

Hope that gives you a few ideas.

Grin, and happy reading!

Your Friend,

Darryl

#5 Chain Reader

Chain Reader

New in Town

• Family
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Do Over Saga
    Kandric Saga

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

TY for all the suggestions everyone, I'll dive in... ;) I hope the suggestions keep me occupied for a while :D

@ Darryl, 'The Wish' is on awesomedude's site, by Gee Whillickers.

#6 flashpoint2008

flashpoint2008

Bodacious Poster

• Family
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

After reading much of what you listed and continued poking around the net, recently I found

the Odd Ball series by monkurchakar, if the link doesn't work (because yahoo groups allows the use of spaces in the url for some reason), look for the Chakars_Tales group at yahoo.  You will have to sign into the group before you can read the story but with 58 chapters so far, it is decent reading and worth the hassle.

#7 Timbeau

Timbeau

Adoptive Parent

• Fort Family Patron
  • 1,736 posts
  • Interests:Walking the Dogs, Boating, DIY, Reading
  • Favorite Stories:
    Haven, CSU, Joel, LAFB, Falcon Banner
    Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hearts across Space, Dragon Earl.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

AS well as all the outstanding reading already mentioned, try the Bullsingers "Livestock" over on storylover.us

Another story worth reading if you don't mind all the graphic sex is "The Boys of Lady Lex" on Nifty it is listed on the scififantasy section last entry Dec 05th 2005

#8 Your Friend Darryl

Your Friend Darryl

Community Director

• 1,114 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

on, http://www.cornercafe.us/ you will find tons of stories.  One author whom you will enjoy very much, is Dark Star.  Look for a story called A different Place, to get you started on his wonderful work.

Storylover.us has a ton of great authors represented, and I am sure you will find something you will like.

Darryl

#9 Visitor_pietro_*

Visitor_pietro_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

The most obvious one you are missing is The Scrolls of Icaria by Jamie via AwesomeDude

#10 Timbeau

Timbeau

Adoptive Parent

• Fort Family Patron
  • 1,736 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

I read a story called "Against the machine" but I can't remember where, that was really good I wish I could find it again.

Another story I read and have forgotton what its called even, was about a gay student who accidently gets criogenically frozen, and is re animated a few hundred years later, to find he is the only gay person on the planet, that actually made for an interesting read but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it, the price you pay for casual cruising I suppose, but if anyone knows where either of those two storys are I'd love to hear from you.

#11 Chain Reader

Chain Reader

New in Town

• Family
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Do Over Saga
    Kandric Saga

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

I just finished catching up to 'Livestock' (space scifi with a big wad of backstabbing and intrigue. Just like I like it. :D)
...next stop, Falcon Banner.

View PostTimbeau, on 24 March 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

I read a story called "Against the machine" but I can't remember where, that was really good I wish I could find it again.

@ Timbeau
found it at nifty, under sf-fantasy
nifty.org/nifty/gay/sf-fantasy/against-the-machine/
just needed a little creative googling ;)

@ str8mayb
I follow the haven universe too, but I particularly like 'Devonshire Devil'. The others are too.. soapy(?) to be in my favorites. I know DD is one of your early stories, maybe you've softened up a lot since then eh? ;) ;)

Like I said, scifi / fantasy nut... but I wont pass up thriller/suspense, adventure and mystery ;)

which reminds me...
Devonshire Devil ............. str8mayb ............. Adventure/Historical/Romance(?) | 17th century/slavery/piracy
Livestock ............. The Bull Singer ...... SciFi/Fantasy | Superhumans/Aliens/Intrigue.

..as for CSU ... I dunno, I'm afraid of touching it... though I have read through 'Ark' and 'Origins' so far, and browsed a few of the first chapters of other stories in the universe.. dunno if I wanna dive into it full speed... yet. (here's hoping I don't get lynched for saying that!)

@pietro
I've read The Scrolls of Icaria book 1, and liked it, got stuck in book 2.

#12 Visitor_Pietro_*

Visitor_Pietro_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

There are also two more excellent stories available on Nifty you would probably like, Songspell and Enigma of Flatness. There is a lot of each story already posted but both authors seem to have been reduced to annual updates.

You could email to ask, I suppose, but I never do any more as I have only ever had one reply in ten years and even that was a surprise. And I would add it's not like I am demanding anything, my emails are on the lines of, 'I think your story is excellent and I am sorry that you appear to have stopped posting. Hopefully you have stopped to facilitate publication, but I would appreciate an indication if you expect posting to continue.' Perhaps I'm at fault and should expect authors to find that kind of message offensive, who knows?

#13 mike0151

mike0151

Bodacious Poster

• Family
  • 152 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    All CSU, Haven and associated stories, LAFB and many more, especially British authors, in particular everything by Mike Arram.
    Far too many more to mention.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

@Pietro

Enigma of Flatness is now up to ch24 on http://www.dabeagle.com/index1.html

@Chain Reader

You may like the stories by 2 authors
1) The series by Mike Arram which are in order on
http://www.crvboy.org/authors.html

2) The Murder and Mayhem stories by Joel at
http://awesomedude.com/jovincent/
which partly borrow the fictional (but wonderful) East European country created by Mike Arram

#14 TomBa.

TomBa.

Beta Tester

• Family
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Guitars, Boys
  • Favorite Stories:
    All CSU stories, Haven series, Dragon Earl, GFD;
    Most any SciFi/Fantasy from 1900 on;
    Docter Zhivago

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

I thought I'd pass on this resource I stumbled across ... sure to satisfy obsessive reading habits for a few months!

Upon suggestion from another forum, I downloaded and installed Opera browser. Then in looking through the features, I found Widgets, then eBook reader, and installed it...

Available for FREE (public domain) are 1000+ SciFi BOOKS, ranging from classics by HG Wells, Jules Verne, ER Burroughs, Asimov,  through more contemporary titles from Kurt Vonnegut, Poul Anderson, Phillip K d**k, Marian Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and more ...

And they're all FREE!

(I grabbed a copy of 'Flatland' and 'Starmaker' already ... You can't beat the classics!)

Give it a look, and you'll have lots of reading available! :)

TomBa

Edited by TomBa., 27 March 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#15 Chain Reader

Chain Reader

New in Town

• Family
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Do Over Saga
    Kandric Saga

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

@Tomba which reminds me...

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov 1956
http://www.multivax....t_question.html

a short story, but worth the read.

.. another thing, I bumped into a www. wiki-something .org(?) website a while back that had a lot of text on it, especially old books. I forgot the url for it, does it ring a bell on anyone? I forgot to bookmark it :( ... I was browsing Jules Vern books on it last I was there.

#16 Chain Reader

Chain Reader

New in Town

• Family
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Do Over Saga
    Kandric Saga

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

I finished reading 'The Falcon Banner' (book 1) and 'Sigil of the Wolf' (book 2) ... very space Scifi, aliens, space battles, weird tech and the like. loved it. books 3, 4 and 5 are not available for free tho :/ ... but I'm addicted and I'm considering getting the ebook editions of them.

also just finished the story 'Twilight' by James Savik on awesomedude, Adventure/Thriller ... end of the world/world war/survival type of thing, not scifi but I stuck to it once I started.

P.S. those ebooks for the Falcon Banner book 3 and up... from lulu.com , can anyone tell me if there will be DRM, and if there is, how annoying and/or intrussive it will be? I've never used DRM pdf before..

Edited by Chain Reader, 29 March 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#17 Timbeau

Timbeau

Adoptive Parent

• Fort Family Patron
  • 1,736 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

I don't normally buy books, but like you I got addicted to the Falcon banner, and bought the whole set, including the prequel, they are worth every penny

#18 Your Friend Darryl

Your Friend Darryl

Community Director

• 1,114 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

I loved the Falcon Banner series.

I want to give you guys a heads up.  There is a dramatized version of the Falcon Banner, on the darker projects Website.  I actually played a small role in the broadcast.  I am curious to see of anyone can recognize me, in the show.  As I said it was not a very big part, but I don't think the character that I played was very nice.  I must say that the production was very well done. there are some abridgments, as you would imagine from an audio drama, but they caught the feel of the story very well, I thought.
Chris Lydon is a fantastic author, and I highly recommend any and all of his stories to fort family members.  

Your Friend,
Darryl

#19 Timbeau

Timbeau

Adoptive Parent

• Fort Family Patron
  • 1,736 posts
  • Favorite Stories:

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostYour Friend Darryl, on 29 March 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

I loved the Falcon Banner series.

I want to give you guys a heads up. There is a dramatized version of the Falcon Banner, on the darker projects Website. I actually played a small role in the broadcast. I am curious to see of anyone can recognize me, in the show. As I said it was not a very big part, but I don't think the character that I played was very nice. I must say that the production was very well done. there are some abridgments, as you would imagine from an audio drama, but they caught the feel of the story very well, I thought.
Chris Lydon is a fantastic author, and I highly recommend any and all of his stories to fort family members.

Your Friend,
Darryl

I really enjoyed the Darker Projects interpretation of the falcon banner, shame it seems to have fizzled out, Christopher Lydon also did an interview about the books with them.

Now that I have talked to you on Skype, hopefully I'll recognise your voice, so I'll just have to go and listen to the Falcon banner again, Ohh the sacrafices I make

#20 str8mayb

str8mayb

Wickedly Twisted

• Retired Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

The question Darryl, is can YOU recognize yourself?   :fish:

Now before you all think I'm being mean (I prefer EVIL)  :bad:  to Darryl, let me say that several of us who write stories  :3_8_3[1]:  he edits  :headbanger:  have put him in our stories.  He is easy to describe, a tall albino man (white hair and pale skin), often even named Darryl.  He has missed that that is him in almost every case.  :10_7_6[1]:

Jeez©twerp!

We love you Darryl.  :pirate: :cool2: :harhar:  :devil:   :hearts:  

:bearhug:

Authors that come to mind who I know have put Darryl in their stories: :coolani:

Darkstar
The Story Lover
E. Walk
Str8mayb
David Miller

Reply to this topic

Help support the Fort Family Forums and Sites: