Click on the name to visit these Fort Family Affiliated Sites

Gary's Garden — AC's Corner Café — Annex: Down Under — Bent and Twisted — Castle Roland — Jeff's Fort — Pyro's Place
The Story Lover's Home — Storymaker's Digital Home — Comicality's Shack Out Back — Ted Louis — Julian Gregg
Forums:  Timmy's Treehouse — GFD Blood Bank

Oh Yes, I Remember Christmas

9 replies to this topic

#1 D&B

D&B

Bad Pun Demon!

• Family Emeritus
  • 2,503 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    All the CSU stories, Castaway Hotel, Haven, Fire, Do Over, Grasshopper's stuff, Driver's stuff, Joel series

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

The Fort Family's favorite English curmudgeon storyteller, Crackewriter, brings us his remembraqnces of Christmases years ago.  Discuss his story, Oh Yes, I Remember Christmas, here.

#2 DenisP69

DenisP69

Shark Jumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:[In no certain order]
    Reading_Films - [Films not Movies]
    Music - [Everything... except 'Rap' & Modern 'Country&Western']
    Cooking - [My only true 'art' form/gift]
    Camping in Nature - [Using RV's is not in nature]
    All "Art" forms
  • Favorite Stories:
    All [To many to name]

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Thank you CW...

I NOW have another favorite Christmas story...

May this Christmas and all your future ones hold as good memories as those as when you were young...

May your 'Yorkshire Pud' always be Golden Brown...

And also may your train set always have fresh batteries...

:bearhug:

I know if all those that called over the years had anything to say to you now... it would be...

Thank You... :emhug:

#3 Gracey

Gracey

Out of My Mind

• Fort Family Patron
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Cricket
    Reading
    Family History
  • Favorite Stories:
    CSU and most of the Fort Family Stories
    Anne McCaffery's Pern saga

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

CW,

Thank you for your memories of Christmas Past!

It woke a number of memories for me, such as having a full Christmas Feast of roast turkey, ham and roast lamb all with vegetables followed by plum pudding and its hidden coins and Christmas Fruit Cake at lunch with one set of grandparents and their family and then going to the other grandparents and their family for another full Christmas Feast at dinner.

The next year they swapped around for dinner and lunch, no matter whether the temperature here was 60F or 100F.

Now it's just me and my sisters and their families for (a pared down, summer appropriate) Christmas lunch - my brothers have moved away and we only see them and their families every two or three Christmases, although they do telephone us while we are having the meal.

I also remembered my pride and joy - a clockwork wind-up train that I passed down to my brothers - it was still working at least ten years later - the worst part was straightening the rails, reattaching the sleepers and using the notches in the top of the key to make sure the gauge (space between the rails) was right.

And the surprises, like my first watch and a fountain pen I had to fill by putting it into a bottle of ink and operating the lever on the barrel - I didn't have to use the bare nibs any more - no ballpoints then!

Again, CW, thank for stirring my memories from the fifties!

#4 Crackerwriter

Crackerwriter

Site Owner

• Family Emeritus
  • 1,127 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    There can be only one: "Just Hit Send" and related stories.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

I hadn't really thought of any story ideas this year; so I thought this might make a change to do something a little different.
For those of you that have posted and those I've spoken to on Skype, who have had their memories well and truly poked, greetings!

I know it's a well known addage to quote 'things were better in the old days', but sometimes it's true.  Unless you're lucky and have had a good job or are from a well-off family, like me, you may well be struggling a little with life's expenses these days.  And you don't even have to be on the poverty line to be struggling these days.
One thing that isn't cheap these days is food.  A few years after the last war, even those who were really not well-off at all could still afford to eat, and neighbours often helped each other when times were hard.  Well up until the last few years it was often still like that.  Do you know your nearest neighbours these days?  I don't.  And they're not interested either.  So different now from the way it was.

Happy Christmas everone; I hope life isn't too hard on you.

CW.

#5 Cynaira

Cynaira

Yarn Guy's Apprentice & Official Howdy Person

• Story Universe Authors
  • 384,791 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    Too numerous to list. All CSU, All HU, other stories at Castle Roland, Storie Lovers, Wolfsnet, Padded Room, CrackerWriter, Ted Louis, TSOI, CRVBOY, and many more.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for sharing these memories with us.  They truly reflect the true meaning of the season.

Merry Christmas Crackerwriter and Happy New Year.  May they be filled with good memories and may you always be able to continue to be there for others.   Hugs.

#6 D&B

D&B

Bad Pun Demon!

• Family Emeritus
  • 2,503 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    All the CSU stories, Castaway Hotel, Haven, Fire, Do Over, Grasshopper's stuff, Driver's stuff, Joel series

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

This wonderful remembrance of an English Christmas during the Attlee and Churchill years was a great touch.  Thank you, CW, for sharing it with us -- and pointing out how much our modern times are missing of what was precious back then, from another old fogy who remembers the same sort of thing on this side of the Pond.

#7 felix_p

felix_p

Author

• Fort Family Authors
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Golf, Theatre, Music.
  • Favorite Stories:
    Joel, Little Bird, New Brother, When He Was Five, Can You Spare A Quarter, to name a few.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thank you, Crackwriter, for stirring up memories of Christmas from my youth. I started to reminisce about the traditions that were always part of my family's Crhistmas that have been carried on to this day. I remember the shortbreads and the carrot pudding with caramel sauce, which my daughters now make from the 90 year old hand-written recipe card from my Grandmother. And, most of all, I remember Christmas day as a time when all the family got together, which is still the most important tradition we continue today. Well done.

#8 The Story Lover

The Story Lover

CSU Archivist

• Fort Family Admin
  • 4,047 posts
  • Interests:SCI-FI Fantasy - David Weber, Mercedes Lackey, Arthur C. Clarke among others. Working on computers and of Course The Annex, and Gary's Garden,
  • Favorite Stories:
    A Special Place, Brew Maxwell's Saga, ANDD, Memories, Empire, Working it Out, LAFB, OUP and HAS and DE as well as MDU and of course ARK and STL and OOTP! And don't forget Haven and Fire!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thank you Cracker for the trip down memory lane, when Christmas really meant something. :bearhug:

#9 Visitor_Justin_*

Visitor_Justin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

Hi, I loved the story, as well as all the other stories here.
Thanks for keeping the site up so that these great tales can still be found.

#10 ACFan

ACFan

Lover of Welsh Sausage!!!

• Fort Family Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Favorite Stories:
    CSU, Akeentia, Pyro, Ted Louis, Gary Q ... the list goes on forever

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostJustin, on 12 November 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Hi, I loved the story, as well as all the other stories here.
Thanks for keeping the site up so that these great tales can still be found.

Thanks for posting and reminding us that these are still read!

Reply to this topic

Help support the Fort Family Forums and Sites: